Tuesday 1 July 2014

Costume-making 101 - Decisions, decisions, decisions...

So then my costume-making friends, when we left the action last time (pre the bout of horrific man-flu-mixed-with-hayfever-and-no-sleep-or-food-for-two-days that struck me down over the weekend) I was on the cusp of having to decide which way my new project was going to proceed - an AC3 coat replica, or an ACU (Assassin's Creed Unity) coat in the style of the new main character, Arno.  Wow, I have such problems...

While trying to decide, I made a start on a new coat.  See?  Responsible decision making; charge ahead with something regardless and make it up as you go along!

So, having decided to crack on with something rather than nothing, I ordered in some corduroy from a place I found in Germany, very reasonable at £4.59 per meter instead of the usual £15.00.  Great, I thought, until it arrived.  I'd missed the words "worn appearance" in the description.  It meant this:


Basically, it looked as though the fabric had been badly tie-dyed in a brown-orange over a white base.  This is how it looked after washing...

No problem, thought I, Dylon will hold the answer.  Three packs of dark brown dye, several 40 degree wash cycles and a day of drying later I was happy with the colour.  For reference, I was going for a colour combination (whichever way the project went) based on the brown/red/blue colours from AC3:


I (finally) had the brown outer in the form of a good earthy needle cord, now I needed the red and the blue.  For added texture and interest I'd already picked up some indigo denim from my local supplies, plus some burgundy poly-cotton to work in.  The hood, I'd already tackled:


After already failing at it once:


More on this when I cover the finer points of construction.  

So, sticking with my Simplicity 2333 pattern from last time, I set about building the top half of the coat, as this would be the same whichever way the build progressed.  I cut and assembled the front, back, top sleeve, under sleeve and collar from both my denim and my corduroy, resulting in this:


The brown outer, complete with denim collar and interfacing, which I later removed as it prove unnecessary and unreliable with the rigid denim lining.


And this, the denim lining, turned inside out for pressing on the sleeves:

Next up, let's get theses puppies together, trim seams, hem, press, turn in the right way, press and sew again to finish all the edges off nicely:


Cool huh?  I was very pleased.  The denim lining proved rigid enough to hold the collar and turn-backs in place with no interfacing, plus the shoulders sat really well.  A note here on set-in sleeves, as per above: learn how to do them, they look fantastic and will only take a couple of tries if you've got a little experience under your belt.  To me, set-in sleeves add a really "professional" look to your work and sell it as a garment, rather than just a costume.  

Sadly I have no pictures of constructing the set-in sleeves, but this was my second and third attempt (shell then liner) and I managed them all (four in all, two sets of two) without a single catch.  Go me.  If possible, have someone show you how to do it, otherwise learn by video - Google produces some excellent results.  

I used the one below, plus some common sense and reference books, especially the invaluable "The Sewing Book" by Alison Smith from DK Books - buy it, you won't regret it.  As I said, I'd done one set before this (with a couple of catches) so work slowly, methodically and don't be afraid to alter and re-sew if needed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QSw8SwH9V8

Next time I'll be looking at which way I decided to go the the coat, AC3 or ACU-inspired, so for now, here's an in-progress shot of the coat body and the proposed hood:


Thanks for looking guys, more to follow in the next week or so.


Until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment