Sunday 21 September 2014

Things Falling Out of My Head...

Hello again to you, dear reader, and another chance to catch up with the various musings and other things that have been tumbling, seemingly without cease, from my head.

So where were we up to?  Ah yes, the long brown coat.  You see I ask because in Real Life in the Real World, I write these blogs retrospectively rather than as I'm constructing, tinkering and altering.  Whilst this allows for quick write-ups and a wealth of projects to draw on, it does also have the downside of me having to write a lengthy blog on what I've been doing, sometimes several weeks after the fact.

Add to this I'm a complete bloody magpie when it comes to finding something new and shiny to attract my attention, it does mean that finding time to blog can be tricky...

What does this mean for my beloved (if somewhat neglected) blog?  Well, the winds of change are circling in the East, the air calls of needed change and focus...  Insert another Tolkien-sounding reference here if you wish but for the rest of us, let me explain.

What was needed, I decided after several glasses of red wine, were shorter, sharper, more up-to-date posts detailing my projects as they happen - you know, cutting edge style.  So, I'm not going to dwell on the long coat much longer (as it was actually finished around three or four months ago and is now looking for a new home, offers welcome...), suffice to say it's done:


In fact, more done than that - and because I'm fickle, the final reveal will accompany my October Comic-Con review in a few weeks.  So there.

So then, what else has been occupying my time and making me bad at writing blogs?  Well, for some reason I decided I needed to commit heresy and try pattern out some flap-fronted trousers.  As regular readers will know, trousers (like shoes) are made of magic and zips.  Well, shoes don't have zips, but you get the point.  I had a pattern for a short pair of knee-breeches lying around, so I thought I'd see how hard it was:




Which went rather well, and then got put aside in favour of watching YouTube videos (check out Thatcher Joe's channel, in particular his walkthrough of Outlast, great looking game and brilliant commentary - Parkour!) and doing some design work for a new costume project:


What else?  Well, I started playing Thief on the Xbox, decided I wanted to make a Thief costume and started designing it.  I'll provide the designs at a later date for anyone who wants them, but for now I'll use it as an illustrative point for how my mind works.  

Then, I made this:



Much more to come on this one; I won't be covering the construction in detail but will provide pattern references and details of the changes made.  Keep an eye on this, I've got some fun additions and changes to come with this little project.

In other news, I was lucky enough to get a copy of this bad boy:


Add to this my painting of the Hidden Blade prop kit and various other sundry work and hopefully you see my predicament; documenting everything when each day is a stolen half hour here, 45-minutes there...  Plus the day job, family and a new Les Mills Combat DVD that's kicking my arse five days a week before work. 

So then, here's where we stand as far as the projects and Real Life go.  I'll be updating whenever I can albeit in somewhat shorter but more frequent blogs, still centered around costuming and prop-making, but also covering subjects such as painting, the odd film recommendation and some design-work on the side.  For those of you still reading I appreciate it no-end and I'll endeavour to keep the content coming, but more regularly and in a less Biblical length each time.  I'm aware this blog is long, so don't think it's clever to point out the irony.

While I'm at it. be sure to check out a couple of other blogs I'd like to promote:

www.jcbishopart.blogspot.com - for arty things, make-up and various other girly things, written by the creative little bunny I live with.

www.ovoxolauren.blogspot.com - for musings and reviews by a tall girl.  There's a lot more to it than that, but I'm sure Lauren would be happy with that description. 

Stay tuned y'all, there'll be another entry very soon, this time covering everyone's favourite re-issued board game from the Nineties - the classic Space Hulk by Games Workshop.  I don't care if you don't like it, I frigging love it.  

So there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment