Tuesday 29 April 2014

Costume-Making 101:  Road to Comic-Con

Evening folks, day early I know but what with the builders being in for the past two days (my bathroom looks lovely, thanks for asking) and being away with work for the next couple of days, progress has been a little slow and mainly planning-based.  

I'll say it now as we're a month out from the event, but my next few blog entries are likely to be mainly updates rather than the design process itself - I need to get everything looking good for Comic-Con!  So, where are we up to now?  

Let's have a look at my coat first, because it's my blog:


Buttons added, hood arranged and a nice little nod to Connor's coat from AC3 with the pinned back skirt.  All well and good I hear you say, but when will we get to see you wearing it?  Well my friends, feast your eyes:


Yes, I can see out of the hood, but yes, it is bigger than I first expected - it'll be getting some gathering stitches to make it hang straight, but essentially, done!  Who left that tea-towel by the cupboard..?  Sloppy.

Then I got distracted.  I thought about some kind of shoulder armour for my left arm along the lines of Ezio from AC2/Revelations.  After a quick search around I found some old leather in the store cupboard and set to gluing it together.  A day later it still needs a lot of work (what doesn't..?) but I have a rough shape ready:




If I have time I'll be adding a rabbit skin, beads and some leather cord-work to give a Native American vibe, which I'll have to work into my back-story somehow, just to add some more textures and layers to the costume.  Plus a lot more work.  

Other updates - I managed to get further along with my friend Scott's Ezio-inspired costume, for which I'm going a bit off-piste with some scratch-built armour.  The plates were designed and cut from plastic mannequins bought from eBay, sanded, painted, sanded, painted, ruined, sanded and painted again.  They need weathering and varnishing, then I have to build the leather backing parts, but hey, what are Bank Holidays for?

Here's roughly how they will look on the grey tunic:


I have two plates for the shoulder, three more for the back and one more to go under the arm.  I've included a spread below of their eventual position, once I've got the leathers finished:


The finished piece will get at least one blog entry after Comic-Con...

So, must keep this brief as I have to pack tonight and iron things, apologies in advance for some pic-heavy entries to come but anything I miss explaining will be made up for after the end of May, along with a full round-up of everything we saw at MCM London.  In the meantime feel free to ask if you want to find out more.

Keep an eye out for surprise updates over the weekend again, and keep everything crossed it all gets finished!



Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment